How to Manage DNS Zone from WHM
In this documentation, we can check how to manage DNS zone from WHM.
Add a DNS Zone
- Login to WHM.
- Navigate to Home » DNS Functions.
- Click the icon ‘Add a DNS Zone’.
- Here we can create DNS zone for the domain.
- Add IP address on the IP text box and domain name on the Domain text box in ‘Domain Selection’ section. We can see the list of domains and users in ‘Account Selection’ section. If the account is already appeared in the ‘Account Selection’ section, please do not enter that domain in Domain text box.
- After updating the details, please click the button ‘Add Zone’ to create new DNS zone.
Edit DNS Zone
- Click the icon ‘Edit DNS Zone’ from Home >> DNS Function.
- Here we can edit the records of a DNS zone file.
- To edit the DNS zone of a domain, select the domain name from option ‘Choose a Zone to Edit’ and click the button ‘Edit’.
- Then cPanel displays a new window to edit the DNS zone.
Please check the brief description of the zone and records.
cPanel first – It shows the version of cPanel & WHM and build number.
Update_time – Date and time of the last update to the zone file.
Cpanel::ZoneFile::VERSION – Zone file version that cPanel & WHM uses.
hostname – The server’s hostname.
latest – The current cPanel & WHM version on the server.
Zone file for – The DNS zone’s domain.
$TTL – The default time to live in seconds. It specifies how long clients cache DNS zone data.
Domain – Domain name.
TTL – The DNs entry’s Time To Live.
Record Type – The DNS record type.
SOA – Start Of Authority record. It contains the authoritative information.
NS – Nameserver record. Specifies the hostname that used to search for the domain.
A – Address record. Matches the domain name to an IP address.
MX – Mail Exchange Record. It matches the list of servers that handle mail of the domain.
CNAME- Canonical Name record. It matches the domain name to an alias.
If you want to add new entries, we can add it in the section ‘Add New Entries Below this Line’.
After updating the details, click ‘save’ button to save the details.
Delete a DNS Zone
This option allows you to delete the DNS zone of a domain.
- Click the icon ‘Delete a DNS Zone’ from Home >> DNS Function.
- To delete a DNS zone of a domain, select the domain from the option ‘Choose Zones to delete’ and click ‘Delete’ button. Then cPanel ask confirmation to delete the DNS zone.
Reset a DNS Zone
- Click the icon ‘Reset a DNS Zone’ from Home >> DNS Function.
- To reset the a DNS zone, select the domain name from the option ‘Choose a Zone to Reset’ and click the button ‘Reset’. Then cPanel ask confirmation to reset the DNS zone.
That is how we can manage DNS zone from WHM.
If you need any help managing DNS, please reach our support department and we will do it for you.